Thursday, July 19, 2012

A somewhat less than Triumphant Triumph.....


Disaster has struck. Well, partially at least. With but a few short weeks to go before the „off“ my lovely Triumph Sprint 955 ST has developed what those of us in the biking world refer to as „character“, and what everybody else calls a breakdown waiting to happen. Long, long story involving mechanics who charge you a fortune but don't actually do the work (aka „Theiving, lying bastards), but the crux of the matter is, I'm not sure that I trust the Trumpet enough to ride so far without her leaving me at the side of the road.

So without further ado it's time to get another bike for the trip. A quick scour through the online classifieds points me in the direction of a local garage with an Aprilia RST 1000 Futura for sale at a decent price. An absolubte stonker of a bike that had a sadly short lived production run. Whilst „Italian electrics“ is an oxymoron on the same scale as „American Intelligence“ and „Altruistic Banking“, the Futuras were generally though of to be very reliable bikes. Also good for me is that the dealer is throwing in a guarantee on her, so fingers crossed she should make it without giving me too many headaches. Yes, the instrument cluster looks like it's been ripped out of Japanese car circa 1987 and she does have a bit of a thirst problem compared to the Triumph, but the front lights sort of look like a face, and if you factor in the shape of the windscreen you might also be (fleetingly) reminded of the Ailen Queen from the Ailen Quadrilogy (although they really should have stopped at 3) so thats all fine by me.......

The new bike. 



I give you the 1987 Honda Accord......

See the resemblence?  No?  Well......screw you then....

No comments:

Post a Comment